Sunday, March 30, 2008

Memory Maker

I want to be a memory maker for my children. I want their memories to be a part of their happiness. It's through experience, they learn to love, learn about the world around us, learn about themselves. I love it when my boys, who are 5 and 3, say, "Mom, you remember when we ...." that means that we did something memorable, something worth remembering.

We've taken trips, explored local places of interest, done science experiments at home, enrolled them in classes...all to make memories, to make everyday extraordinary!

One day that I love to make extraordinary is Easter. It's one of our families favorite holidays. I first took my husband home to meet my friends and family at Easter. We like to celebrate Easter to relive the moments, to think about the memories. We do community Easter Egg Hunts, make a special bunny cake, hunt eggs at home - over and over again, watch videos about Easter, dress in our "Easter clothes" and go to Easter Services. All in the hopes of making memories and creating traditions.

The one thing that I want them to remember more than the bunny cake or the piles of candy is the saving knowledge the Jesus is their savior (John 3:16). He loves them more than anyone. He has a plan for them (Jer 29) - and what a great memory living a life in Christ will make! That is one of the fabulous things about Easter, remembering the sacrifice the Christ made for us - to die for our sins so that we can have eternal life. That resonated with Clayton this Easter Sunday.

And a week later, today, our oldest son told our Pastor that he'd like to be baptised. To make a public profession of his private commitment to live a life set-apart. I know that he doesn't understand everything it means to live a life in Christ, but you know, neither do I.

One of my favorite Bible stories is of the man born blind. After Jesus heals him, the Pharisees question him about the miracle. He replied, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" (John 9:25) I have a masters degree and find everyday there is more that I don't know than the day before. How much more comforting is it to cling to those things you know for sure?

What is more sure, more memorable than Christs' love for us, His resurrection and His saving grace?

No comments: