Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Blessings of Hamburgers

I was having a day, a day when I found myself slipping back into the pit of destructive thinking patterns, not trusting in the promises of Jeremiah 29. Then dear friend called and invited us over for hamburgers after church the next day. I thought, "Wow, I needed that." The Lord knew I need that acceptance at that moment.

Isn't it wonderful that Jesus reveals His love for us through others? He invites us to be a part of His plan to encourage and help His children. I've heard people who do this called, "Jesus with skin." Isn't that what He did? Encourage His children. In our world today it has become far too easy to become self-absorbed. Our lives move so fast that we can't see the needs others have, much less a word of encouragement.

Encouraging others does not have a monetary cost. My friend did not have to spend a dime to make me feel encouraged - just the phone call, wanting to spend time with my family, knowing the she was thinking of us meant so much. What she did took very little time out of her busy day. God took that invitation to help me change my focus and redirect my thoughts.

It made me think:
  • Do I hear and understand what God is saying to me?
  • Do I spend time trying to learn how to understand and hear God?
  • What keeps me so busy that I don't take time to encourage others with a note or call?
As if the invitation alone wasn't enough of a blessing, the time in fellowship with our sweet friends was so relaxing. It was such a blessing. It was an absolute joy to spend the afternoon with them. They are having house built and are a family of 5 living in a two bedroom apartment who invited a family of 5 over for a meal. It was only a few hours of time together, but the thoughtfulness... The kids played in the courtyard; the men stood watch over the grill. And I didn't do much of anything. The vegetables were chopped, the condiments out - even dessert was ready! I am so grateful for the blessing of hamburgers.

I pray that I find someone might need some encouragement tomorrow. It won't be difficult to find, if I'll only look. It will only take a few minutes of my time. I pray that God will invite me to help Him encourage one of His own.

Romans 12:8, “If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging….” (NLB)

Proverbs 12:25, "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." (NIV)

1 Thessalonians 5:11, "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." (NIV)

Galatians 5:22, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness." (NIV)

No comments: