Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Family Necklace

With school starting back this week, I thought that this idea from Moomah was amazing and I wanted to share it with all those other moms who want to do whatever they can to help their children feel safe and be successful...

from Moomah

Add ImageWhen it’s time for my kids to go back to school, they often get anxious about the transition. To help ease this anxiety, we make a very special family necklace together. It’s also a great project for kids nervous about going to summer camp or anywhere else that’s out of their comfort zone.

We take a photo of each family member (including our two adorable dogs and our fish Santa, of course). We glue the pictures onto tags made of oak tag and then cover them with tape to protect them (you could also use mod podge to coat them). We take soft wool yarn, braid it and then hang our tags from it (you could use shoelaces, ribbon, etc.), completing our family necklace.

My daughter says, “Whenever I miss you, I look at your picture and it makes me feel better,” and that makes me feel a lot better. The necklace was such a hit that other families in her class started to make their own.

- tracey stewart

http://moomah.com/thejournal/entry/nourish/the_family_necklace/

No comments: