Friday, July 27, 2007

Wild at Heart


God designed men to be dangerous, says John Eldredge in his book Wild at Heart. Simply look at the dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy: To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk. Sadly it seems, most men abandon those dreams and desires-aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a "nice guy." It is no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death.
It has taken me awhile, as a woman to look inside the true heart of a man and give the men in my life permission to be what God designed them to be-dangerous, passionate, alive, and free. The first sentance of Eldridges book says, "At last, I am surrounded by wilderness. The wind in the top of the pines behind me sounds like the ocean." That is beautifuly masculine. It sounds of relief and freedom. It sounds like experiences I want the men in my life to embrace.
I am trilled that my husband is a passionate man, willing to show our sons how to fulfill the longings that seem to be at the core of each man: a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue. Even as young children, they want to explore, test the limits, and see over the edge of the cliff. I want my sons to be a real man. I want them to be different from their sisters. I expect that they will be more aggressive, more physical in their play, and dirtier when they come in at the end of the day. I want them to be brave, noble, adventurous, and yes, just a little daring. These are qualities my husband tries to encourage in them and model for them.
But more than chasing after the camelot-dreams of childhood, I pray they run after the things of God, that they seek the heart of the one who made them and knows them best. That they seek the face of God daily and listen for His voice in the wilderness-wind in the top of the pines.
The heart of a man is like deep water . . . Proverbs 20:5

No comments: