Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wedding Shower Surprise

When I was a graduate student, planning an enormous wedding and the full-time high school English Teacher for some of the best kids ever, I was busier than I had ever been, moving at break-neck speeds all the time, but I also had a great peace. I was pulling a 4.0 in graduate school. My wedding ceremony was scripted down to the minute and included every last detail. My substitute was scheduled and lesson plans were ready to go. I only had a few days left and all my ducks were lining up. But I knew that if one got out of line, they were all gone.

Finally, my last day at school as “Miss Phillips” arrived. I got to school early, like I usually do to take care of any unfinished business from the day before. In front of my classroom door I unloaded the bags from my shoulder so I could unlock the door and as I opened the door I heard something scraping the floor. I quickly flipped on the lights to see what catastrophe waited. There was paper wrapped around my door that was scrapping the floor. There were messages of love on foil taped to my computer monitors. Black and white strips of butcher paper were draped across the ceiling. They even covered my entire desk in foil to which each of my little angels signed their names. My students decorated my classroom for an impromptu Wedding Shower!

And if that wasn't enough, each period that day poured into my room with wedding gifts, cake and food so they could celebrate with me. What a blessing! That day quickly put all the pomp and circumstance of life into perspective. I couldn’t have asked for more.

May he grant your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans (Ps 20:4) as well.

No comments: