Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Prolific Men of Letters Pass

I just read that John Updike died. I cried. I first "met" John Updike as an undergraduate in Art Saltzman's class reading "Rabbit, Run." My first impluse was to e-mail Dr. Saltzman and thank him for introducing me to such a great writer. So I went to the MSSU English page where I read:

Art Saltzman Dies Suddenly: Click here.

Longtime colleague Art Saltzman died on January 8, 2008, at home. He was just 54. His death leaves a huge hole in the department, which had enjoyed his presence for 26 1/2 years. Art was laid to rest in a graveside service in Chicago on January 11. A memorial service was held on February 3, from 2:00 to 3:30, in the Spiva Gallery on campus. Saltzman family members were also present. A prolific author, outstanding teacher, and good colleague, Art will be missed.
To read the Chicago Tribune obituary notice and the guestbook, posted January 10, click here.

I should have thanked him sooner

No comments: